Ethiopian Opals are one of the newest additions to the opal family, only discovered in 2008 in the Wollo Province of Ethiopia. They are sometimes referred to as Welo Opals or African Opals.
Ethiopian Opals are usually light in colour and the high grade opals display mesmerising, at times, almost neon flashes of fire. As beautiful as these opals are, they are very temperamental and require special care and handling.
1. Keep Your Ethiopian Opals Away from Water and Liquids.
Ethiopian Opals are "hydrophane", which makes them thirsty for water. If the opals come in contact with water, they will absorb it like a sponge. If the opals are left in water and allowed to soak it up, they may lose their fire temporarily and turn yellow or brown. But don't worry, the fire and colour will come back once the opals have fully dried, which can take a few minutes to weeks, depending on how much water they managed to absorb.
2. Do Not Expose Your Opals to Extreme Changes in Temperature.
Opals are sometimes referred to as "living gems" due to their ability to soak up liquids. Ethiopian opals handle gradual temperature changes well. So when drying an opal that has managed to soak up water and lose its fire, let it dry naturally. Do not try to speed up the process by placing the opals under a hot light or hair dryer.
3. Avoid Liquid Chemicals Around Your Ethiopian Opals.
Because of the opal's "thirstiness", liquids like perfumes, soaps and cleaning products can stains your opals and change their colour. If that happens, try washing them with warm water and wiping with a soft cloth before allowing them to dry on their own.
4. Never Use an Ultrasonic Cleaner or a Steamer.
A lot of jewellers use ultrasonic cleaners to clean gemstone jewellery. While some gemstones can withstand it, Ethiopian opals are more fragile and may crack. To clean your opals, simply wipe away with a soft cloth.
5. Avoid Manual Labour when Wearing Your Opals.
When wearing opal jewellery, you should remember its moderate hardness and toughness. It rates 5.5 to 6.5 on Moh's scale of hardness. This puts them below quartz (7) and emeralds (7.5 to 8) and above pearls and coral (3 to 4). This means that it is best to take off your opal rings and bracelets when tough tasks!
I know that this all seems like a lot of work but because of its beauty its worth.
30 DAYS MONEY BACK GUARANTEED!
RETURN FOR REFUND WITHIN 30 DAYS IF YOU DONT LIKE IT!
- We ship parcel only with USPS and UPS We ship out parcel within 1-3 days upon payment received.
- Registered Post ($10.00) the transit time is around 15 -30 business days depend onyour country Custom handling, please use UPS if you do not want to wait up to 15 -30 days for delivery of your parcel.
- UPS shipping ($50.00) If you are buying more than $250, we WILL NOT ship your parcel by normal Registered post, it is COMPULSORY for you to pay for UPS shipping during your checkout.
- FREE COMBINING ~ We can combine as many items as you wish in single parcel (Registered Post or UPS) at same cost, please pay within 4 days after auctionends.
Your Business is very much appreciated at Caribbeanopals.